An image of UQ student Elizabeth Dekkers in action during the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.

UQ student Elizabeth Dekkers in action during the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. Image: Elsa/Getty Images

UQ athletes come up for air after starring at Commonwealth Games

By Michael Jones

After years of training and sacrifice, it all came down to one final lap for UQ student and up-and-coming swimming star Elizabeth Dekkers.

The 18-year-old Australian sat just 0.01 seconds behind England’s Laura Stephens at the last turn of the women’s 200 metre butterfly final at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

But the benefit of those years of hard work and sacrifice meant Dekkers knew that all she had to do was trust her process. And as Stephens started to show signs of fatigue, Dekkers surged, storming home to win her first Commonwealth Games gold medal in a time of 2:07.26.

“I always try to swim my own race, so I didn’t think about my competitors too much – although I did see Laura on the last turn,” the UQ Bachelor Advanced Science (Honours) student said.

“I was feeling good but just tried to stay focussed on my race rather than thinking about beating her.”

“Realising I had won was an unreal feeling, and I honestly didn’t believe it – I really didn’t know how to react.”

An image of Elizabeth Dekkers (left) and Australian teammate Brianna Throssell showing off their medals after the 200 metres butterfly final.

Elizabeth Dekkers (left) and Australian teammate Brianna Throssell show off their medals after the 200 metres butterfly final. Image: Elsa/Getty Images

Fellow Australian Brianna Throssell (2:08.32) claimed bronze and Dekkers said it was a surreal moment to share the podium with someone she has known and admired for many years.

“Brianna is not only someone who I have competed against for a long time, but she is also someone I looked up to when I was younger,” Dekkers said.

“It was just the perfect situation that I got to share that experience with her.”  

Dekkers was the fastest qualifier for the women’s 200-metre butterfly final and continued her strong form at the World Championships in Budapest earlier this year, where she finished 5th in the same event with a time of 2:07.01 – slightly quicker than her gold-medal swim in Birmingham.

Despite that result, Dekkers admitted it wasn’t the ideal lead-up to her first Commonwealth Games.

“Being away from home for so long leading into the Games wasn’t easy and I definitely had my struggles with form,” she said.

“But I just had to have confidence in myself and know that I could swim my own race.”  

On the hockey field, UQ Clinical Exercise Physiology student Claire Colwill and UQ alum Rebecca Greiner (Bachelor of Psychological Science ’22) helped the Hockeyroos claim their second silver medal in consecutive Commonwealth Games, after Australia lost to England 2-1 in the final.

A four-minute burst in the second quarter saw the hosts score twice and the Hockeyroos couldn’t recover as England won its first Commonwealth Games gold medal in women’s hockey.

Colwill said the gold-medal match was one of the toughest mental challenges the team has faced.

“The atmosphere and home crowd certainly tested our concentration,” she said.

“For us, everything is process-oriented and focused purely on our methods. When the opposition scored, it was more about sticking to the process rather than trying to work harder than we had to. It’s definitely a work-in-progress for us.”

An image of UQ alum Rebecca Greiner in action for the Hockeyroos during the gold-medal match against England.

UQ alum Rebecca Greiner (left) in action for the Hockeyroos during the gold-medal match against England. Image: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Colwill’s personal highlight came in Australia’s group match against Kenya, when she scored a goal to help the Hockeyroos to an 8–0 win.

“Scoring my first international goal was a thrill! Celebrating it was the best part,” she said.

“I was able to see every teammate of mine celebrating and cheering for me.”

Despite coming so close to bringing home a gold-medal from her first Commonwealth Games, Colwill said she was still pinching herself over what she and her team managed to achieve.

“To be a member of such a small group of athletes who have represented Australia at the Commonwealth Games and come away with a medal is truly humbling,” she said.

“To be able to do this as a team made it even more special. Together, we were disappointed to not finish on top, but we also collectively achieved many successes along the way.

“I have received an overflow of love and support from my family and friends back home. Many messages have flown through from past teachers, coaches, teammates and school friends. It is great to see how sport can bring together so many people.”

Claire Colwill celebrates after scoring a goal against Kenya.
Image: Jacob King/PA Images via Getty Images

An image of Claire Colwill celebrating after scoring a goal against Kenya.

Back in the pool, Master of Physiotherapy student Emily Meaney has her sights set on the Paris Olympic Games in 2024 after finishing 5th in the 10-metre individual platform diving final at Birmingham.

“It was my first Commonwealth Games and I went in wanting to do my best and put a list of dives together that I was proud of,” the 25-year-old said.

“I struggled in the preliminary round but luckily scraped into the final. I was so excited to get through and told myself to relax, concentrate on one dive at a time, and enjoy the whole experience.

“I dive my best when I am enjoying the competition. I focused on that and in the end it all paid off.

“The crowd in Birmingham was incredible and the stands were full – from the diving pool down to the end of the 50-metre pool. The spectators were loud and excited, and it was really motivating to know that the crowd just wanted to see some good diving.

“I will continue training hard and hopefully that will lead to my selection into more teams in the future.”

An image of UQ student Emily Meaney under water after a performing a dive during the women's 10-metre platform final.

UQ student Emily Meaney during the women's 10-metre platform final. Image: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

In total, 10 UQ students, alumni and community members competed at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, 6 of whom are Para-athletes.

UQ Swim Club member Jack Ireland collected a bronze medal in the S14 200 metres freestyle, while UQ alum Blake Cochrane OAM (Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Sciences) also claimed a bronze medal in SB8 100 metres breaststroke.

Multiple Paralympic and Commonwealth Games champion, and Bachelor of Communication student, Lakeisha Patterson OAM finished 5th in the SM10 200 metres individual medley. Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) student Harrison Vig and Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Sciences (’17) graduate Brenden Hall touched the wall in 4th and 5th place respectively in the S9 100 metres backstroke.

In the Para-triathlon, Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education (Honours) student Felicity Cradick competed as a guide for Erica Burleigh. The pair crossed the line in 6th place.

A UQ Sporting Scholarship can help you achieve your sport and education goals